Monday, November 22, 2010

The Kitchen Gadget I Can't Live Without

by Jesica DeHart, Co-op Product Promotions and Education Coordinator, demo@moscowfood.coop

We call it the vegetable spiraler around my house and what it does is truly just simply magic! My children devoured vegetables of all kinds for years up until the notorious moment when they went to school and some child informed them that veggies were gross. Now being somewhat skeptical children they did not buy the "gross" statement completely but their passion for veggies did begin to dwindle and become quite selective. Some say that it is a naturally occurring shift that happens in children due to taste buds and the sort but I think their entrance into the world of outside influences played a large part in it. Around this same time, through a raw food demo, I discovered this incredible kitchen gadget that transforms any firm veggie or fruit into spiral noodles or paper thin slices. I watched, at the demo, as my child devoured a plate of spaghetti made with raw zucchini noodles and promptly went home and ordered one for our family.

I found that beets, daikon radish, carrots, zucchini, cucumber, squash, eggplant, sweet potatoes and more could easily be transformed into various size noodles to be eaten raw or lightly cooked depending on the vegetable and my kids loved them again because, well how can you not like eating something that boinnggs and is in such a fun shape. We add them to soups at the very end of cooking for an incredible rainbow affect that kids love. Beets in particular are very striking in a soup especially if you use a variety of colors of beets. I make spring rolls and fill them with either a mixture of rice noodles and raw veggie noodles or only the latter. I love arriving to a potluck or friends for dinner with a bowl of raw spiraled veggies of all colors, tossed with a simple tangy dressing and watch the oohs and ahhs and the bowl quickly empty.

Now where can you find one of these magical kitchen gadgets for yourself you ask? Well thanks to my trusting friends in the Health and Beauty department of the Co-op we are now carrying this incredible gizmo so that the children and adults of the Palouse can have as much fun with their veggies as we do at our house. Whether as a garnish or main ingredient, this is a kitchen must have. During my initial search for one years ago, I tried out a wide variety of them and found that for the price and quality that the World Cuisine model is my favorite which is what I have at home and what we now have on our shelves at the Co-op. I will be doing a plethora of demos in the coming months to showcase this fun spiral vegetable slicer. I am also more than happy to schedule a demo for you if you want to see how it works. Just send me an email demo@moscowfood.coop

No comments:

Post a Comment